Monday, February 22, 2010

More of what could have been...

As I sit in my office depressed that February break is over, grumbling that it's back to pencils, back to books, back to student's dirty looks, I can't help but imagine how much awfuller (more awful?) it would be right now if I were still as exhausted as I was last night. Our house mildly in disarray, Emily slightly behind on school work, me behind on grading, and both of us so freakin' exhausted that we ate dinner lying down last night - I can't help but wonder if God really intends for us to have this much on our plates. I don't think life is supposed to be this crammed or busy. More down time please - time for thoughts, smiles, rest, leisure, ANYTHING but the work that is now hanging over my head again.

I wonder... Back in the day when the only work that people did was to feed themselves and their loved ones - do you think those people felt busy or stressed? Do you think they were all concerned about whether they had the most meat to trade? Whether they had enough stuff? Whether they were important enough?  Maybe commercials and ads really do make us want more than God has designed us to want. I think all this wanting is what drives us to take on too much.

By the way, all this about stress and business coming from a guy that just had a week off from work. But I digress. The silver lining in all of this is that as much as I don't want to be back at work, I'm sure I'd be much more miserable here today had Emily and I stayed up last night to watch one of my beloved shows. Instead, we ate, checked off some chores, and go to bed promptly at 9. A full 8 hours... VERY needed. Seriously, had we gone to bed at 11 or something, I'm pretty sure I would be asleep and drooling on my desk right now instead of writing this.

As overwhelmed with the stuff of life that Emily and I feel right now - TV would definitely NOT help the situation.

Today's temptation rating: 1

Days without incident: 14 (a fortnight!)

No comments:

Post a Comment