Tuesday, February 16, 2010

reuniting with the real world


So I think the detox period/withdrawal symptoms have subsided. No more headaches :-), and I'm really starting to see some of the wonderful benefits of being free from TV. For starters, real people! Usually when Emily and I visit my parents, I will spend the majority of my time doing three things: (1) Watching there gynourmous TV with on demand cable, (2) stuffing my face with my mom's delicious, yet fatty food (seriously, last time I was there, she prepped the skillet by coating the bottom with olive oil, and THEN proceeded to dropped in 3 table spoons of butter), and (3) working out either in their basement or on the beautiful rolling hills of New Jersey (that's right - New Jersey is beautiful once you get out of Newark). This trip I replaced watching TV with discussions around the delicious food I mentioned at the kitchen counter. Turns out that my family is not in the living room watching TV with me - they're around the kitchen counter talking! Emily pointed out on the ride home yesterday that she usually feels like she doesn't see me at all while we're in New Jersey, but this time that was not the case, as I spent my free time talking with her and my parents instead of watching TV. As it turns out - I would say that talking in the kitchen would be just as relaxing as watching TV if there were a big comfy couch in the kitchen, (I'll have to try just laying out on the counter next time) but without the TV, there's the added benefit of spending my time with real people!

Today I start my week at home without TV. I suspect this will be a bit more of a challenge since one of the most pressing alternatives to watching TV will be the daunting task of getting my life back together. Let's see if I can resist TV when one of my main alternatives is quite a bit less enticing. :-) Oh man, it's even harder when I think about ALL the episodes I've missed but could catch up on!

Today's temptation rating: 6 and climbing...

Days without incident: 8 (past one week!)

No comments:

Post a Comment