Thursday, February 18, 2010

the pleasant distraction of REAL human contact

Between yesterday's post and today's post, you might have noticed that I'm starting to post a lot of pictures of places that serve food. Well the reasons are two-fold: (1) Food is awesome and (2) I have been eating out A LOT this week. I thought that with all this vacation time I'd be cooking lots of elaborate meals, but I haven't... yet. (Friday I'm going to make chicken and broccoli in a yellow curry and pineapple sauce - no recipe.) I've started using my free time to see real people. Now that I've had to say good bye to my wonderful yet fake friends - Joey, Chandler, Ross, Rachel, Monica, and Pheobe - I've started saying hello to the real ones more! Yesterday I spoke with Debbie - my dear friend from VA, Phil - new friend from church (lunch at Chipotle), and Ian and Anna - a new couple with whom Emily and I are definitely becoming fast friends (dinner at the Publick House).

The great thing about spending all this time with friends (aside from the wonderful company and realness of these relationships) is that with the more time I spend with other people - the less I feel tempted to watch TV. I wouldn't say yesterday's temptation rating was at it's 10 day low or anything, but it was pretty low considering the fact that I didn't have to go to work. Maybe one of the things that I really appreciated from the shows that I watched was the artificial relationships I formed in my deranged little mind. Watching TV was like acquiring and maintaining friends without having to put the effort into the process. I could just sit on the couch with my jaw dropped in my sweats as I popped flipsides (by keebler - I highly recommend them) and chocolate milk in my already open mouth. If that's really what it was all about - having friends available with the push of a button - then I think I'll probably be spending a lot more time with my real friends in Boston very soon.

Like tonight for example, I'll be having dinner with my buddy Odoi. We'll be eating at Charlie's on Newbury Street. In case you're wondering I chose Charlie's because they have the best burgers in Boston. After tonight's delicious burger, I'm going to have to find some other ways to spend time with friends that don't involve spending 15-20 bucks on meal. Pizza's cheaper, right? ;-)

Today's temptation rating 3.5

Days without incident 10 (double digits, baby!)

No comments:

Post a Comment