Thursday, March 18, 2010

New ways to escape...

As I sit back down at my desk here at school, I see that everything I escaped for a day is right here waiting for me. It saddens me a little. The sick day was nice though - it really was. I'm feeling well rested and refreshed. Without TV, I did get a lot done. I cut my hair, did the laundry, made an omelette, took a nice long nap, and got in plenty of time off my feet. It was a different kind of sick day than I was used to, but it was still an escape.

Even Jesus would retreat from time to time. Everyone needs to escape. I imagine that Jesus' escapes were a bit different from mine though. I imagine him sitting quietly in earnest prayer with the Father - if you caught a glimpse you could practically see him glowing with the restoring energy of the spirit just filling him up. Almost like he plugs himself into a wall, and powers up his battery. Like I said - mine aren't like that.

Sure I'd love to have that kind of powerful rejuvenation, but I don't... never did. When I watched TV it WAS my escape. No other means for retreat. I didn't plug into a wall and start glowing. I just plugged into a glowing TV set, tuned out the world, and that was it. I don't have that anymore. Now I spend time with Emily, I spend time napping, I spend time talking to friends and family on gchat. On a daily basis, I feel about the same as I did spending A LOT more time watching TV. As if plugging into other people were a higher voltage form of rest. I don't need to be plugged in as long to feel recharged. And that extra time has allowed me to do things like laundry mid-week, or cutting my hair, or cooking more dinners.

So I'm learning new ways to escape and recharge... better ways I think. GROWTH!

Today's temptation rating: 4.3

Days without incident: 38

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are growing and I like that we chat and talk more now :-) good perk for me!

    ReplyDelete