Monday, March 1, 2010

Saved by the bell...

Almost consumed by the temptation of boredom yesterday, I got a call from my friend Gered (seen at right). We talked for a couple of minutes, and then he hang up - leaving me to continue contemplating my desire for the sweet state of passive consciousness that TV once provided. Two minutes later, the door bell rang. "Hmmm, do we have a package? They don't deliver packages on Sunday do they?" I buzzed the mystery guest in, and went down stairs to see who it was. Sure enough Gered was calling, not to chat, but to confirm that I was home! He didn't even have to ask if I wanted to join him. I put on my shoes and was out the door faster than... (trying to think of something clever)... well something really fast.

We did all sorts of "bromantic" activies with the third wheel (his wife, Brooke), and a fourth wheel (his sister, Kara). We went shoe shopping at the New Balance outlet, we at Dim Sum, we went shopping (for groceries). And although I generally detest shopping of any kind, and those dumplings were a little questionable, I was over-joyed by the distraction from TV that our wanderings around greater Boston provided. When I got back there was just enough time to get in a bike ride and run, cook some dinner and finish off the chores while Emily finished her school work. Were I to have that extra 3 hours at home - I'm pretty sure I would have figured out away to convince myself that one show would be ok.

I was definitely saved by the (door) bell. Thanks Gered!

Today's temptation rating: 7.9

Days without incident: 21 (3 weeks!)

No comments:

Post a Comment