Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A solid run, some conversation, a cheeseburger, a chocolate banana milkshake and an early bed time

These are all the things that happened last night INSTEAD of TV.

It started with a good run around Jamaica Pond. Two laps + the out and back portion + a little detour to avoid stopping at a light = 6.7 miles in 40 minutes. That's a 6:04/mi. average pace, which included about a minute of walk/jogging that followed each of two 10 minute intervals. On the first I averaged 5:37/mi. on mainly flat terrain,  and on the second - mainly uphill - interval I averaged 5:52/mi. BOOYAH! If you read this blog for it's commentary on TV, I apologize for this digression, but it IS what I did with the time I wasn't watching TV. Plus I was really proud of myself, and I felt like bragging a little to the world. :-)

Then I went down to b.good. for a delicious conversation and some stimulating cheeseburger, I mean... you know what I mean. I'm hoping that my friend Dan and I started a Tuesday night (or maybe some other night) ritual of cheeseburger eating and catching up. Mainly for the cheeseburger part, but Dan's great too... JOKING :-) (He'd probably say the same thing if you replaced cheeseburger with Bertucci's.)

Then when I got home, I made myself a chocolate banana milkshake that was promised to me (by my wonderful wife) upon agreeing to go through with what I knew was going to be a very painful run early that afternoon. I'm pretty sure she also agreed to allowing a milkshake after a cheeseburger because she was feeling guilty about the butterfinger she ate at work - not a little "fun" size one - a whole butterfinger! Anyway, I reclined on the couch and gave that milkshake the full attention it deserved... ohhhhh.

And in bed by 9:45 with a little ice on my achy knee joint, and sleeping by 10:15! What about time with my wifey, you ask? Well since we're getting up at 5:30 every morning, we got to snuggle on the couch this morning whilst enjoying some oatmeal with brown sugar and yellow raisins (though we did find a regular raisin in there).  Again this morning, no TV.

Today's temptation rating: 2.1

Days without incident: 30!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brett,

    This is Joe, your college friend (I think I was at your wedding.)

    My dad would be very happy with you. I don't think he has professed to be completely off of TV, but definitely the denial of it would definitely be supported by him.

    I'll throw my hat in the ring and also say congratulations! I have not pursued a similar path, but it is crazy how much time we spend on TV/computer.

    At Colgate my last semester, I went out to the Abbey of the Gennesse with Mark Shiner and a few Catholics and Jeff G. and the monks there sing all 150 Psalms every week in their multiple services. One of the brothers said that some in the monastery memorize those Psalms, which of course we found unbelievable.

    But THIS is what the human mind is capable of. Or body. Or spirit. It's shackled by these distractions. The difficult thing is getting rid of them. We have all grown up with it, but not letting it become masters in our lives is the trick. But giving it all up, well, that's a miracle in itself.

    Anyway, thought I'd give you a little encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Joe!

    ReplyDelete