Friday, March 5, 2010

Replacing "Life" with Life can feel busy...

Whenever I use or write air-quotes around a word, I always think of the second episode of season 9 in Friends. (Are you impressed or depressed by the intricacies of my Friends knowledge - I told you, I know my shows...) Take a look and see what I mean: (Excuse the "Baby Kangaroo Productions sign in the beginning - it's all I could find on youtube.)

Joey makes me laugh so much sometimes.

Aaaannnyway, "Life" as I refer to it is what I think I once experienced when a significant percentage of my time was occupied by my "friends" on TV. There were some nice things about "life" - I'm not going to lie. I could hang out with my "friends" in my boxers - I never had to be dressed nice. I could hang out with my "friends" whenever I wanted, even while I rode my bike on the trainer... but I'm pretty sure most real people wouldn't appreciate that. I didn't have to vacuum all of my stupid cat's hair before visiting with my "friends" either. I could even stuff my face in front of my "friends" with all kinds of tasty goodness... actually... I do that in front of my real friends too. :-) The point is that I'm a lazy person, and there is no effort required to spend time with my "friends" on TV. That's probably a top reason for my addiction to TV. It provides me with a friend-ish feeling, without any of the work.

On the other hand, LIFE (no air-quotes) has several trade-offs. I may have change out of my pj's, but friends talk back to me where as "friends" just talk to each other - as if I'm not even there. I may not be able to ride my bike on the trainer while friends are over, but I can ride outside with some of them. In fact, I can run and swim with real friends too! I may have to get off my butt to spend time with friends, but whenever we part ways, I always leave wanting to spend more time with them. Which is why my schedule seems to be filling up with all kinds of events!

Don't get me wrong it's great, but I do kinda miss the days where I could just sit on the couch in my flannel pajama pants. Maybe when I get to know my newer friends as well as I know my "friends" they won't mind either. :-)

Today's temptation rating: 5.9

Days without incident: 25

No comments:

Post a Comment